Saturday, January 26, 2019

Compelling force

I’ve been studying at Helsinki University during last few years. That's the reason why I have not been so active as an artist. Thing was that the idea of expandism was so compelling force that it made me study at this point of my life. I focused on philosophy of art as my major and did masters on the subject closely related in expandism. The name of the thesis “Pelkistetty piirtäminen” means simplified drawing. Unfortunately, it is written only in Finnish.

On my thesis I divided drawing as action in four sections of contour, repetition, dressing and composition, and made simplifications of each. Idea was to make a simplest possible standard of drawing activity of each one, models which explains these areas of drawing in general. Repetition relates very close-knit to the idea of expandism.

Expandism is way of drawing of using very simple lines or forms in repetitive manner, just putting marks side by side and concentrating to drawing. It’s kind of meditation or focusing to the task. The drawing groves and expands mark by mark till the paper is full of spots. So, repetition and gradual expansion of the artwork are essential in expandism. For me the meditative aspect increases when drawing, repeating of simple lines, continues long enough.

Repetition is not a new thing in art making. Aboriginal art is very much based on repetition and many artists have used repetition as a part of their artmaking or in some of their works, like Yayoi Kusama or Andy Warhol.

I have also take part to Taiko's online gallery. I put at least some meditative drawings for sale to Taiko's platform. In the future I try be more active on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment